5 places with history in Palma de Mallorca that you can’t miss!
Palma de Mallorca is a stunning city with a variety of special places to visit. From the old town to the white sandy beaches, there is plenty to see and do. Here are 5 places with history that you should visit:
- The Cathedral-Basilica de Santa Maria in Palma (more commonly known as the Cathedral of Palma), is an impressive monument that sits in the heart of the city. But what many people don’t know is that this cathedral has had a very interesting history. For example, during the Spanish War of Independence, the cathedral was used as a storehouse for weapons and ammunition. And during the Spanish Civil War, the cathedral was badly damaged and was restored in the 1960s.
- The Santa Catalina neighbourhood is one of the liveliest places in Palma de Mallorca. But what makes it even more interesting is its history. For centuries, this neighbourhood was an obligatory stop for sailors arriving in the city, and was home to many foreign communities, such as the Italians and the Jews. Today, Santa Catalina is a lively neighbourhood with bars and restaurants offering a mix of local and international cuisine.
- Bellver Castle is a fortress located on a hill near the centre of Palma. But what makes it unique is its circular shape, something not often seen in European fortresses. Moreover, the castle has had different uses throughout its history, from prison to the residence of the kings of Mallorca. Today, the castle houses a museum that explains the history of the fortress and the city.
- The Plaza Mayor is the main square of Palma de Mallorca and has witnessed many historical events over the centuries. For example, during the Middle Ages, the square was the site of bullfights and public executions. And during the 19th century, it was the site of political meetings and popular demonstrations. Today, the Plaza Mayor is a quiet place where tourists and locals gather to enjoy the atmosphere of the city.
- The Paseo Marítimo is a seaside promenade that runs along Palma’s coastline. But what many people don’t know is that this promenade was built in the 1960s over the old city walls. Today, the Paseo Marítimo is a popular place to stroll and enjoy the sea views, and has numerous bars and restaurants where you can enjoy a drink or a meal overlooking the sea.
As you can see, Palma de Mallorca is a city full of special places that you cannot miss, as there is so much to see and do in this Mediterranean city. So if you are thinking of visiting Palma, don’t hesitate to explore these unique places and make your trip an unforgettable experience.
And to make your stay on the island even more perfect, nothing better than staying at the magnificent Posada Terra Santa hotel, a luxury boutique hotel located in the heart of the capital of Mallorca. This exclusive hotel is a true oasis of tranquillity, with an elegant and sophisticated décor that combines modern elements with historical and cultural details, and facilities equipped with all the modern comforts to guarantee an incomparable stay.